The HP-24 wing kit consists of all the parts you need to assemble a set of high-performance sailplane wings with full-span mass-balanced flaperons and Schempp-Hirth style airbrakes. When you prepare to go flying, you align the wings in position, push them into place on the fuselage, and then insert two shear pins that secure the overlapping spars of the right and left wings together. As you do this, four pins on the wing root engage sockets on the fuselage to react all lift, drag, thrust, and torsion loads between the wing and fuselage. The wing flaperon and airbrake controls automatically connect themselves to the fuselage control systems when bellcrank arms on the wing roots engage funnels inside the fuselage.
The wings are supplied with the upper and lower wing skins, main spars, drag spars, and root ribs and fittings already assembled and bonded together. The two spar stubs are already precision-fitted to each other so that the main pins fit perfectly. For the QB option, you spend a week at our facility making the wing skins and spars, and receive wings with all control system parts already installed. For the LC option, you separate pre-marked portions of wing skin and install the internal control system parts yourself. Then you reinstall the wing skin portions and fair over their seams.
To assemble your wing kit, you:
- Trim wing edges and seams
- Locate and install the four prefabricated flaperon sections on their pre-installed hinge points
- (LC Option) Separate the six access panels, install airbrake box and arms, install outboard flaperon bellcrank and mass balance mixer, install all push-pull tube guide bearings
- Adjust and install the four flaperon final drive pushrods
- Locate and install the inboard flaperon drive bellcrank
- Adjust and install the airbrake lower and upper paddles
- Trim and install the airbrake cap and sealing springs
- Fabricate and install the autoconnect arms and brackets on the wing root
- (LC option) reinstall access panels
- Install inspection plates and their anchors
- Dress and fill leading edge and access panel seams as appropriate
- Reprime, wave sand, and paint exterior surfaces
- Install flaperon drive horn fairings
- Wing skin shell set, bonded together with main spar, drag spar, and root ribs aligned and installed
- Flaperons, assembled
- All control system autoconnect parts
- All airbrake paddles and control parts
- All flaperon control system parts (pre-installed in QB option)
- All flaperon hinge parts aligned and preinstalled
- All flaperon drive horn fairings
- Bonding resin and hardener
- Epoxy fillers
- QB Option: $18,000; lead time 16 weeks. Deposit of $3600 due at order, balance due at delivery.
- LC Option: $15,500; lead time 12 weeks. Deposit of $3100 due at order, balance due at delivery.